Ilo-ilo Bucketlist



Given my very hectic fieldwork schedule last October 20-23, 2017, I have only 3 things listed in my bucketlist for my Iloilo trip.  These include the following:

1.       La Paz Batchoy – one of the most popular Filipino soup dishes which originated from Iloilo, in La Paz Market particularly. 


I was not able to visit La Paz Market where they say it offers the best batchoy in town.  However, as early as I arrived on my first day, I got to sample it already from Ted’s Oldtimer La Paz Batchoy located in SM Iloilo.

I placed an order for super extra batchoy and my bowl had a lot of sahog that goes well with miki noodles and the hot broth.  There were white meat chicken strips, pork meat and organs like liver and intestine, topped with crispy pork skin chicharon.  I think, it is good with pandesal but I didn’t bother to have one.

My super extra batchoy bowl costs Php 90.00 only.

2.       Miag-ao Church  - also known as Santo Tomas de Villanueva Parish Church, is a Roman Catholic church located at Miag-ao, Iloilo.  It is a UNESCO World Heritage Site declared in 1993 together with three other old churches in the Philippines: San Agustin Church in Manila, Sta. Maria Church in Ilocos Sur, and Paoay Church in Ilocos Norte, under the collective title Baroque Churches in the Philippines.


My only free time was on the morning of Saturday and I really spent it visiting this UNESCO site.


Getting There:  From my accommodation place located in Mandurriao, Iloilo City, I took two jeepney rides: first, going to Mohon Terminal in Molo District and then from there, there are jeepneys going to Miag-ao or any southbound routes.  The rides pass right in front of Miag-ao Church.  The fare costs Php 9.00 and Php 40.00, respectively.



3.       Pancit Molo – another popular soup dish which is authentic from Iloilo.  Contrary to the notion with its name, this dish is not really the usual pancit dish. 



Since I didn’t have much time exploring Iloilo, I really made point to sample this signature soup dish at Café Iloilo in SM Iloilo before leaving on the next day.


My pancit molo bowl had chicken, pork dimsum, homemade wrap (as noodles) and savory broth.  Ang sarap-sarap!!! And as a bonus, the dish was served with two pieces of biscocho – another local delicacy.  Biscocho is a baked bread coated with butter and sugar.  Nag enjoy akong isawsaw siya sa sabaw!  One serving costs Php 95.00 only – very worth it and affordable!

Extra-extra:

Well, aside from completing my bucket list – I also got to visit Molo Church and brought home local delicacy, butterscotch!

4.       Molo Church – also known as St. Anne’s Parish Church, is another national historic and heritage landmark in the Philippines.  The church is made of white corral mark and considered as Feminist Church since it contains women saint statues only – a total of 16, with St. Anne, mother of the Blessed Virgin Mary, at the center of its retablado.


I attended an anticipated mass on Saturday at this church and I felt lucky to participate in what they called Jerusalem Mass, in which all the readings and responses were sung.  The feeling was very solemn and nostalgic lalo pa’t alam mong nasa loob ka ng isa sa mga sinauang simbahan.

It was only a dismay that I haven’t captured the façade of the church since it was raining during those times.

5.       Butterscotch – one of the signature delicacies from Iloilo, particularly that of Biscocho Haus – the most popular pasalubong store in the place. 


Butterscotch is my personal favorite among all the delicacies from the place.  Made from flour, butter, sugar, eggs and milk, I guess it’s another variant of brownies.


I think there are a lot more to discover and to visit in Iloilo, so I’ll end this up with – “Until next visit!” J

Comments

Popular Posts