Binondo Food Trip

Last February 23, 2014, me with some college friends - Anne, Ched, Leah and our goddaughter, Aya, visited Binondo for food trip.

This was not my first time to set foot in Binondo. I had been there for many times. Binondo, more popularly known as Manila Chinatown, is the oldest chinatown outside China. Actually, for the past four consecutive Chinese New Year's, I got to celebrate it there. And any trip to Binondo would not be complete without having a taste of Chinese cuisine and delicacies. But only during this trip that I experienced stall hopping in search of authentic Chinese food feast.



First stop: Eng Bee Tin at Ongpin Street near Binondo Church.

Eng Bee Tin is one of the famous stores offering Chinese delicacies nationwide. Actually, there is one near my work place and each time I craved for hopia, I could easily grabbed one from there. So, during our stop, I looked for something new to try. What I found were: almond cake, mini mooncake and custard hopia.



The almond cake: according to Anne, it was like putong kutchinta but to me, it was more like agar jelly - the one that my late Tita Mariana used to prepare for me and my brother during childhood.



The mooncake: it was somewhat like hopiang mongo with very fine ground filling that is so sweet.



Lastly, the custard hopia: definitely, a must try! It tasted like an eggpie and best served when chilled.

Next stop: Dong Bei Dumpling at Yuchengco Street.



Dong Bei Dumpling is a small restaurant offering homemade Beijing style dumplings. The location of this restaurant is not easy to find but you will recognize it once you see those servers preparing the dumplings behind the glass wall. Absolutely, we had dumpling feast in this place at an affordable price. What we had: pork and pork with kuchay dumplings and xiao long bao.



The dumplings: one word - masarap!



The xiao long bao: my first time to try it and my expectations were met.  It was a dumpling with soup filling. I loved the soup buns!!! ♥♥♥

Next stop: The Original SaLido Restaurant along Ongpin Street.



Though we were still full with the dumplings that we had (hehehe), it was already lunch time when we reached the place. So, we decided to dine at the original SaLido Restaurant, one of the oldest restaurants in Binondo. What we had: pork asado, fried pansit with meat and 3 cups chicken in hotpot.



The pork asado: the pugon-roasted pork asado. Savor that pinkish tender meat with layer of fats and golden brown skin, (napapalunok ako hehehe).



The fried pansit with meat: ayaw ni Aya ng seafood e ;)... Anyway, pansit should not be missed and what made it different was the crispy noodles.



Lastly, the 3 cups chicken in hotpot: chicken cooked in SaLido's specialty concocted seasoning, ginger, garlic and Chinese wine - special Adobo! Definitely, a must try. Aside from the pork asado, I think this is their specialty and something that's uniquely SaLido.

Last stop: Shanghai Fried Siopao at Bahamas corner Ongpin Streets.

Located just across the street from SaLido Restaurant, we dropped by this stall for another Chinese tummy treat. Yet since we were still too full with lunch, we had it for takeout - the fried siopao.



The fried siopao: it was not actually fried but somewhat toasted at the bottom. The filling was like bola-bola with some herbs - parang lumpiang shanghai na may kaunting sabaw :)

Tara na sa Binondo! ♥♥♥
posted from Bloggeroid

Comments

  1. when I was still connected w/ my first job, my boss has relatives in binondo and has treated us there several times. he also brought us to 'estero', a line of open air-restaurants, more like eateries but a bit expensive. and his fave pasalubong to us, eng bee tin. memories...haha.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts